Friday, July 11, 2008

Hellboy 2 - The Deadbolt: Ron Perlman Interview

From The Deadbolt:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)



On Top of the World with Hellboy Ron Perlman

Jordan Riefe

After two Hellboy movies, actor Ron Perlman is on top of the world. In fact, as you'll see, his dreams are coming true. No stranger to working in make-up, behind the mask of a character, Perlman was the right person to bring Hellboy to live-action life on the big screen back in 2004. Now Perlman returns to the character made famous by Mike Mignola in the comic book series and director Guillermo del Toro on the big screen for Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

With Hellboy II storming into theaters, Ron Perlman had a blast with the press in L.A. sharing stories of life, Hellboy, and how his world is just ducky now that his dreams are finally being realized.



A brief excerpt:

On working behind masks:

"When I was first starting out in this business, I was really quite uncomfortable in my own skin. And luckily the good lord provided these roles almost in chronological order. First, Quest for Fire, which was mask acting, then Name of the Rose, which was mask acting, and then Beauty and the Beast, all happened during a period of my life where I was more comfortable behind a mask than I would’ve been naked, like this. It freed me up. It made me freer because it was no longer me. It was a transformed version of me, which was very abstract in relation to my own persona. So it made acting more possible and more freeing. These days I’m in my late 50s and I’m quite comfortable in my own skin and I no longer need the mask as much as I used to. So it becomes, ‘How much pleasure am I going to take in playing a masked character?’ And when the character is Hellboy, the answer is, ‘Man, I’m sure there’s a whole lot of other guys that wish they were me.’ And this is a real honor to play this character because the heart of the character is truly mythic, truly legendary and epic in scope, and he’s a phenomenal character to spend time with."

No comments: