Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The X-Files - SciFi Weekly: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson Interview

From SciFi Weekly:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)



THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE: DAVID DUCHOVNY, GILLIAN ANDERSON

Go behind the scenes with the stars of the second X-Files film as they discuss their reunion after six years apart and their blind trust in Chris Carter. Click through to find out ... who wasn't paying attention!

July 23, 2008

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reunite after six years apart to continue their quest for the truth


By Patrick Lee


It's been six years since audiences last saw The X-Files on television, and 10 since the last movie. But the creators of the upcoming sequel film The X-Files: I Want to Believe hope that audiences still want to believe that a story about rogue FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) is worth seeing.

Series creator and the sequel's director, Chris Carter, and his producing and writing partner Frank Spotnitz won't talk much about the film's top-secret storyline.

But this much is known. The movie reunites Mulder and Scully to investigate a mystery that only they can solve. The movie does not deal with the series' convoluted alien/conspiracy mythology, as did the first movie, but rather stands alone and is designed to be really scary. Duchovny and Anderson are back, joined by co-stars Billy Connolly, Amanda Peet and Xzibit, among others.

Duchovny and Anderson spoke with reporters earlier this month about the sequel, which opens July 25.


A brief excerpt:

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, can you talk a little bit about what it's like to be back in these characters after six years?



Duchovny: OK. Well, I had two weeks before Christmas [2007] of basically running around and chasing [co-star] Callum Rennie, who plays the ... running bad guy that I chase all over the place. And that took, like, a good full two weeks of running, even though I know it's only about 10 seconds of the movie. And then Gillian and I started working after Christmas break, and the first two weeks I ... felt a little awkward. I didn't really feel like I wanted to do longer scenes. I was just fine with running around. And then, as soon as Gilly and I started working, and it was Mulder and Scully, then I kind of remembered what it was all about. And, you know, that relationship kind of anchored my performance, just as I think the relationship anchors this film.




Anderson: I had a similar experience. ... I didn't have all the running around that David had to do, but I did have my own unfortunate [experience in the] beginning, which was to start with one of the most difficult scenes for Scully in the film. ... It's later on in the script, and she goes through a range of emotions in confronting Billy Connolly's character. ... I had a really hard time with those first couple of days with that scene. ... I just had a really hard time just finding her, finding her voice. I think I must have gone through 10 other characters in the process of trying to get to her [back], when I assumed that on the first day I'd be able to show up, and it would just be there. And it wasn't, I think, until day three, when we got to work together in ... the environment of each other and the relationship ... that it kind of felt natural and ... familiar and that I felt like I'd landed for the first time.

No comments: