Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Stargate: Continuum - Blockbuster UK: Christopher Judge Interview

At Blockbuster UK:

(Article has some really nice graphics of Teal'c. Please follow the link for the complete interview.)



Passion of the Chris

Christopher Judge Interview

Blockbuster.co.uk's Marshall Julius chats with larger-than-life actor Christopher Judge, star of stand-alone science fiction epic Stargate: Continuum, available now from Blockbuster.

The longest-serving star in the Stargate universe, Christopher Judge, now 43, cuts an imposing figure with his broad, ripped, 6' 3" frame, though his deep, booming, mellifluous voice is no less commanding. Overall it's a winning and charismatic package, made all the more appealing by his friendly, down-to-earth nature and easy approachability. Plus he loves the show, which the fans can certainly relate to.

The moment I meet him, the sheer force of his enthusiasm almost knocks me down. "Don't forget," he blasts like a radio commercial turned up to 11, "you can now rent Stargate: Continuum from Blockbuster!" He smiles and we both laugh. "I just thought I'd get that out of the way," he says with a particularly cheeky grin. "I admire a man who cuts to the chase," I tell him, recovering from the g-forces of his vocal onslaught. "I'm sure we would have gotten there eventually but I appreciate your directness," I assure him.

On board with the franchise from 1997, when spin-off series Stargate SG-1 first hit the air, for many years now, Judge has been a driving force behind the show, not just as one of its most valued stars, but also as a writer and, though he does it without the pom poms, head cheerleader as well. I wondered at what point during the programme's original run that Judge first considered it a passion, rather than just a job.
"I think it happened when I started being more responsible myself," he says with characteristic candour. "When I quit drinking and started showing up to work on time. That might have had something to do with it. That was when opportunities started presenting themselves.

"The first years of the show, you're just so giddy about getting something like a Stargate, it's all about having a good time." I'm glad he had some fun, I tell him. "Me too," he replies, "and I wasn't alone. Oh no - I had some knuckleheads with me! It's just when you get to the point that you don't ever grow up, that's when it becomes a problem. But I was very fortunate. Our producers were very patient with me for a number of years and, frankly, had more faith that I would come around than I did..."


No comments: