Monday, September 15, 2008

Stargate Atlantis - MGM Stargate: Behind the Scenes: The Queen

At MGM Stargate:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)



Behind the Scenes: The Queen

September 15, 2008 (Episodes)

"The Queen" gave us Teyla as we've never seen her before! Rachel Luttrell reveals what it took to make the episode a reality.


A brief excerpt:

...Despite the hardships, however, the actress [Rachel Luttrell] reports that the script itself was intriguing. After five years of playing Teyla as a strong yet spiritual woman, "The Queen" suggested the potential for something else – something darker, which had often been hinted at.
"Once I got beyond the fact that it was very difficult to be in all that make-up, and I was in the midst of the script, I saw that it afforded me a unique opportunity to play the character but in a completely different way. She was shaded by a completely different energy," Luttrell explains. "Most of my conversations about character took place between me and Christopher Heyerdahl. Chris is such a wonderful actor, and he does such a tremendous job on the show – as Halling to begin with, and now as Todd. I love working with him because he's so thoughtful and he puts a lot of effort into his roles. It was interesting, because it gave me an opportunity to explore another side of Teyla. Clearly, she has Wraith DNA. So, Chris and I talked about how much of this power that she's gifted in being the Queen, does she actually enjoy? The easy thing to do would be to just play it one note: Teyla hates the Wraith, and I'm here to complete my mission and blah-blah-blah. But there's this other aspect that speaks to a part of who she is – the shadow that we all have ¬– that maybe she actually likes it. At the end of the script, [for example,] when she's leaving the Wraith ship and hundreds of them stand up and salute her as she walks out. It's a sense of power, and it's not a huge aspect of who she is but it's certainly a part of her. So it was neat to play her as she is, but balanced with this darker side of herself."

No comments: