Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Neil Gaiman - SFX Magazine: Exclusive Interview

At SFX Magazine:

(Please follow the links for the complete interview.)

Wednesday October 29, 2008

Neil Gaiman exclusive! Part 1

To mark the publication of Neil Gaiman's latest novel, the magical, macabre and moving The Graveyard Book, SFX is proud to present an exclusive interview with the Dream King. Jayne Nelson asks the questions in an entertaining ramble that takes in the beauty of cemeteries, undying schoolboy resentments, the lingering terror of Kia-Ora adverts and, tantalisingly, the possibility of a Neil Gaiman penned episode of Doctor Who....

So, I read the Graveyard Book and I absolutely loved it.
I think it’s the best thing I’ve ever done; I am just so happy with it. Normally when I do things you have a platonic ideal in your head and you measure success by how much you fell short of that platonic ideal. Right now it’s my Batman comic and I have this wonderful, marvellous, glittering, glistening, golden idea and I’m just wrestling with the thing and it lies there on the page and I say, “No, you’re meant to be marvellous!” And it’s all about how close to marvellous you can actually get. And with The Graveyard Book I achieved everything that I set out to write. The themes are big themes. I did them justice, and I loved all of the characters, I’d love to go back and do more stories with them. I think it’s really special.


Neil Gaiman exclusive! Part 2

Neil Gaiman exclusive! Part 3

No comments: