Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Battlestar Galactica - Total SciFi: Michael Hogan: Saul Man

At Total SciFi:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview excerpt.)



Posted on Wednesday 03 December 2008

Michael Hogan: Saul Man


Michael Hogan, the surly Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica, answered a few questions during his guest of honour appearance at the recent MCM Expo in London. He talked to Den Patrick about eye patches, the end of the CIC and being a frakking Cylon.

... Have you been happy with the progression of your character throughout the series? Especially now that Tigh has been revealed as a Cylon…

I’m definitely happy with the progression of the character throughout the series… until he became a Cylon [laughs].

Ron Moore and David Eick have always picked up the phone when I’ve called with a concern throughout all of the five years. So I’ve learned over time to go with them if they insist on something.

The issue I’m really talking about is when they send Tigh down to New Caprica. Well, Tigh wouldn’t leave that ship, and for very good reasons. But they insisted Tigh go down to New Caprica. Well, look at what they wrote for season three; as an actor, you couldn’t get a better meal than that.

So with the Cylon thing, I did initially think it was a cheap shot. Someone told me that there was this poll on the web and people voted on who was most likely to be a Cylon on Battlestar Galactica. Saul Tigh was the second from the last!

Now that’s pretty cheap. I mean, do you make him a Cylon just because it would be a surprise? But, no, they [Moore and Eick] had thought it out. And knowing, after all those years, when they said they wanted me to be a Cylon, I said, “OK, I’ll argue it, but I don’t have any facts to argue with.” This was just a gut a thing ...

Battlestar Galactica returns in 2009.

No comments: