Friday, February 20, 2009

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - TV Guide Canada: Summer Glau Interview

At TV Guide Canada:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)



Summer time

By Denette Wilford

2009-02-12

‘Terminator’ gives geeks a reason to stay home on Friday nights

OK, so it’s no surprise that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was getting pummelled in the ratings by its competition last season. Monday night has become the new Thursday as must-see TV, and The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Chuck, The Bachelor and Gossip Girl were all worthy foes.

With the recent returns of American Idol and 24 in the Fox lineup, taking up major real estate on the schedule, the network had virtually no choice but to move Terminator from Mondays to Friday nights starting tomorrow. And while that might not seem like an ideal situation for a show on the bubble, this one might actually work in the series’ favour.

Now teamed up with the much-anticipated Dollhouse from Joss Whedon, the two shows seem like a match made in heaven. And Friday-night stay-at-homers will be reaping the benefits since they can hunker down and watch two straight hours of sci-fi goodness on Fox.

Creator and executive producer Josh Friedman and series star Summer Glau (Cameron) discussed the move to Friday night, Fox’s expectations, Cameron’s backstory and the season’s jaw-dropping finale.

A brief excerpt:

What are your thoughts on the new Friday timeslot and what advantages or disadvantages do you feel it offers?
Josh Friedman: Well, the advantage I see is that we were getting our asses kicked on Monday nights, so I’m happy to move to Fridays.

Summer Glau: I don’t think we were getting our asses kicked; I just think there’s a lot of stuff on Mondays.
JF: Yes, it was crowded on Monday and I think that Friday gives Fox an opportunity to promote us together with Dollhouse, which seems like a pretty exciting show. It’s an opportunity for a fresh start and we have a lot of great episodes in the back nine. So I don’t think anyone really knows what to expect in this environment but I feel good about it.

SG: I think it’s a great move. I think its fun and I think that the shows are very well-paired. I love Joss [Whedon, the creator] and I know some of the actors on Dollhouse and I’m rooting for us both. I think it’s going to be a fresh start for us.

No comments: