Friday, May 8, 2009

Star Trek - Visimag: Cast Interviews

At Visimag:



Chris Pine Interview

It’s the movie Star Trek fans have been waiting for, JJ Abrams’ take on the origins of the Starship Enterprise crew as they meet each other for the first time. Casting the younger versions of such iconic characters was not easy, and perhaps the hardest role to fill was Captain James Kirk, but Chris Pine does a superb job.

A brief excerpt:

JJ has said that he gave the actors liberty to recreate the characters, what qualities about William Shatner did you try to encompass?:
I used the script that Alex Kurtzmen and Bob Orci wrote as kind of my bible, and that gave me my back story in the sense of who this guy was and why he was who he was. I did go back and watch the series, and what appealed to me about William Shatner’s performance, and what I could use without hitting people over the head with a bad impression, were little physical characteristics, the way he moved about the deck of the ship, he’s got a very theatrical quality that made me smile every time I watched it.

Zachary Quinto Interview

In the new Star Trek movie, which chronicles the early lives of Captain James Kirk, and the half-human Vulcan, Spock, there are two actors embodying the character of Spock, Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy, who has been playing the role for over 40 years.

A brief excerpt:

Did you study Leonard to see how he played Spock?:
Leonard and I watched a couple episodes together and talked about his experience shooting those episodes, but aside from that I felt that it was incumbent upon me to determine my own relationship with this character. That was the mandate that J.J. set forth very early on in the process. We were expected to use the foundation as a point of entry into our experiences with the characters.


Star Trek Cast Comments
(including JJ Abrams, Anton Yelchin, John Cho, Karl Urban, Zeo Saldana, Eric Bana and Leonard Nimoy):

JJ ABRAMS:
Casting the movie was a huge challenge and we were incredibly luck to find these actors. I’ve never had to cast something that pre-existed it, where the actors have to take over these iconic roles. I said to all the actors, ‘Please do not do impersonations of any of these actors. This is all about you owning it, and the only way it’s going to work is if you are free to do your own thing.’

No comments: