Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Stargate SG-1 - Joseph Mallozzi's Blog Update July 1 '08: In Memory of Don S. Davis

Stargate Atlantis executive producer and showrunner, Joseph Mallozzi, has dedicated his July 1 '08 blog entry to the memory of Don S. Davis (Stargate SG-1's Gen. George Hammond). (Please follow the link for the complete blog update.)



July 1, 2008: In Memory of Don S. Davis

**snippage**

If there’s one thing I’ll always remember about the man, it was his willingness to put others before him. Back when Rick was reducing his workload to spend more time with his young daughter, and the writing department was scrambling to come up with in-story reasons for O’Neill’s off-world absences, Don came up to offices and offered a solution. “Have Hammond step aside and let O’Neill be General,” he suggested. I was floored. Here was a guy, perfectly willing to walk away from a plum role as a regular on a hit series, just to (in his mind) make it easier on everyone else. Of course we thanked him for his kind offer, but we weren’t willing to let George Hammond go just yet.

**snippage**

In my many years at Stargate, I’ve worked with many actors whose company I have greatly enjoyed, but only a few would I actually be bold enough to call my friends. And among those few was the magnanimous southern gent who used to greet me with that familiar “Hellooo, Joooe!”, the always affable Don S. Davis.

He’ll be missed.

No comments: