Sunday, September 28, 2008

Stargate SG-1 / Atlantis - GateWorld: Sabine C. Bauer Video Interview

At GateWorld:

(Please follow the link to view the video in its original format.)



LADY OF FICTION

GateWorld talks with Sabine Bauer

Sabine C. Bauer has been writing fan fiction for some time. When publisher Fandemonium was looking to launch its new Stargate novel series they approached her to kick off the first story. Now with three books released, Sabine couldn't be happier with her growth as a writer.

GateWorld caught up with the author at this year's Gatecon convention in Vancouver, British Columbia. In our video interview, we discuss Bauer's latest Atlantis work, "Mirror, Mirror." We explore her style of writing, the challenge of moving from SG-1 to Atlantis, and realizing her dream of writing professionally.

Our video interview runs approximately 18 minutes, and requires QuickTime 7.0 or higher. Transcript available at the link above. The interview is also available at GateWorld Play!

Don't forget, you can talk with Sabine and other Fandemonium authors directly in GateWorld Forum!



A brief excerpt:

GW: Now, how many titles have you written for Stargate so far?
SB: Three. I wrote the first one out of the box, "Trial by Fire," I wrote the number seven, which was "Survival of the Fittest," and I've just published my very first Atlantis book, "Mirror, Mirror."

GW: "Mirror, Mirror," which I was joking with Darren in a podcast the other day, it's "The Atlantis Variations", instead of the "Daedalus Variations!"
SB: I guess so, yes! [Laughter] It came out of, oh God, an idea I had years back about space odyssey, if you will, really taking the structure, or not necessarily the structure, but elements of Homers Odyssey, and transplanting it. Which is not an altogether bizarre choice given the gate system, given what can happen if it malfunctions, and OK, the end product is a lot less close to Homer than I thought it might be, because writing aptitude aside, my stories usually start with word one, and then they go wherever the hell they please to go ... I shouldn't say "hell" should I? Heck! [laughter]




Stargate Novels

No comments: