Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sanctuary - Cinema Spy: Exclusive Interview: Fantasies, Fetishes and F/X

From Cinema Spy (Canada):


http://www.cinemaspy.ca/article.php?id=796


(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

Exclusive Interview: Fantasies, Fetishes and F/X

The enriched life of producer Damian Kindler

By Michael Simpson | Monday, April 7, 2008


Note: This is the first in a three-part interview with the creator, writer and producer of the upcoming SCI FI Channel series Sanctuary.

Emilie Ullerup (Ashley Magnus), Amanda Tapping (Dr. Helen Magnus) and Robin Dunne (Dr. Will Zimmerman)




Many fans of science fiction and action-packed television shows are likely to have seen the work of Damian Kindler. The Australian-born writer and producer worked on Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, Earth: Final Conflict, Relic Hunter, Code Name: Eternity, F/X: The Series, PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Kindler’s latest venture is the fantasy series Sanctuary. Produced through his enhanced-media production company Stage 3 Media (S3M), Sanctuary stars Robin Dunne, Emilie Ullerup and Stargate’s Amanda Tapping. It debuted on the Internet in 2007 as a two-hour pilot divided into eight webisodes. The series’ success led to a distribution and licensing deal with the SCI FI Channel and an order for an upcoming 13-episode season for TV broadcast.

Having worked on several television series, Damian Kindler is an accomplished writer/producer.

Yours truly spoke to Damian Kindler at the Vancouver offices of S3M. In the first of a three-part transcript of that interview, Kindler discusses his writing career, the opportunities afforded by science fiction and fantasy, and why his name is associated with babe scientists.



**snippage**


Michael Simpson: Is there a process that you go through with every script that you write?

Damian Kindler: "Absolutely. There is an absolute distinct process that I go through. It’s called agony, and procrastination, and making those immediately around me suffer because I am chewing on problems I haven’t solved. My wife can tell you exactly what stage of the scriptwriting process I’m at by either how happy or miserable or grumpy or irritable I am. [She would say,] 'Oh, you’re happy because the people in Stargate liked your pitch and your golden,' 'Oh, you’re in the outlying phase because you’re still structuring it,' 'Oh, you’ve gone to draft, you’re actually kind of smiling,' [or,] 'Oh, you’ve just got notes, and that’s why your snapping at me.' ... I love to talk about [writing] with writers and other people who understand what we’re doing, and then I really need some solitude to go and problem solve off in a corner with myself ... It’s like a public and private kind of thing until finally the script is where it needs to me. I really do like to collaborate with people, but I like to write the script myself. I am not an over-the-shoulder 'you write a scene, I write a scene,' type person."


**snippage**

In Part Two of this interview, which will appear next week, Kindler will discuss his inspirations for Sanctuary, putting the series together, and his plans for its future.

No comments: