Sunday, May 4, 2008

Curse of the Golden Flower - Video: Trailer



'Curse of the Golden Flower' is a 2006 Chinese language movie starring Yun-Fat Chow, Li Gong, Jay Chou, Ye Liu and Junjie Qin. The subtitles are in English. The movie is basically a soap opera -- what, not SciFi? I know, I know, not the normal genre I watch, but I ran across this movie last night on TV channel surfing, catching the last half hour. I was impressed with the acting, music, costumes, sets -- everything. I waited six hours until it was available again and watched the whole movie, and was impressed even more.

The story is set in 10th century China. The majority of the film takes place in The Forbidden City (although IMDB indicates not the REAL one -- it's the largest set ever built in China). The scenery is awesome, the acting is fantastic, the music is exquisite, and oh my gosh...the costumes are amazing (they were nominated for an Oscar). A couple of good battle scenes, but mostly the royal family plotting against each other, some incest, political shenanigans...and very few wire stunts.

'Curse of the Golden Flower' is available on DVD and Blu-Ray, and it's airing on TV (US) on the various STARZ and Encore channels (extended and premium cable) through May.



No comments: