Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Stargate Atlantis - Alex Levine's Blog Update: 'The Lost Tribe'

At Alexi Levine's SciFi.com Stargate Atlantis blog:

(Please follow the link for the complete blog update.)



From The Lost Tribe - Teyla Emmagain (Rachel Luttrell) and Nurse Marie (Linda Ko)

October 6, 2008

VFX and Mark Savela

The gang was in watching a cut, and Mark Savela was waiting to show them a temp of one of the visual effects shots for The Lost Tribe, so I dragged him into my office to find out more about our VFX department. Now I don't know how much you know about VFX, but I certainly learned a lot by talking to Mark. He's our VFX Supervisor and he's primarily responsible for the amazing effects you see each week on Atlantis. For his efforts, he has been rewarded with an Emmy nomination, and the constant, unceasing worry that goes into making sure the effects represent the writers' and directors' vision. He told me First Contact and The Lost Tribe were the hardest Atlantis shows he's worked on as far as visual effects, and when I asked him why he named the culprit: Martin Gero ...

... Mark told me he is extremely proud of the shot in First Contact where the hyperspace window opens up over the water. I recall when we were watching it one of the producers didn't exactly understand why the water was being pushed down until it was clarified. When someone asked, "why are we doing that?", Martin Gero turned around and said, "Cuz it's awesome!" I have to agree.

Posted by Alex Levine at October 6, 2008 7:36 PM



Lt. Col. John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) and Katana (Daniella Alonso)

No comments: