Thursday, May 1, 2008

Iron Man - Total SciFi: Robert Downey Jr.: The Iron age

From Total SciFi:

http://www.dwscifi.com/interviews/1923-robert-downey-jr-the-iron-age

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

Posted on Thursday 01 May 2008

Robert Downey Jr.: The Iron age



After three decades of dramatic ups and downs (both on-screen and off), Robert Downey Jr. is now appearing in arguably his most commercial role ever as the brilliant, self-absorbed businessman Tony Stark in Marvel’s Iron Man. “I dare anyone to find a movie where there is more heart,” Downey Jr. tells Tara Bennett.

**snippage**

Q; Do you like playing Tony Stark because he doesn’t turn into a Superman-style superhero?

RD: "Sure. He just starts off as a guy who is desperate to save his own life and he’s very surprised when he is put into a position where he has to do so. I don’t think he had a sheltered life. I think he was in a lot of denial about the ramifications of what he did for a living. I don’t think it’s a film about someone’s conscience getting the better of him. I think it’s a film about survival and being conflicted.

I think it’s a pretty apt metaphor for the 21st century and human beings. We have such a wealth of information, yet 20 years ago you couldn’t just go online and say, “Well that’s my opinion.” You tended to go out and do something about it or even write a letter about it. I just love that kind of action - of someone that is sheltered by choice and then takes action.

The whole film is about heart. It’s subtly about heart. I got it…everyday when they were gluing an RT to my chest. It’s the heart centre and I read a lot of Bodhi Tree bullshit and now I literally have it glued to my heart. I dare anyone to find a movie where there is more heart."


**snippage**

Iron Man opens in UK and US cinemas in 1 May 2008.

No comments: