Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stargate Atlantis - GateWorld: Janina Gavankar Audio Interview

At GateWorld:

(Please follow the link to download the audio interview and/or read the text transcript.)



Team Protector

GateWorld talks with Janina Gavankar

Beware SPOILERS for the Stargate Atlantis episode "Whispers" in the interview below!

Some know her as Ms. Dewey. Others recognize her as Papi in The L Word. But in the Stargate neck of the woods, Janina Gavankar is gung-ho hothead Dusty Mehra, part of an elite all-female unit stationed in the Pegasus Galaxy.

In our exclusive interview, Janina fills GateWorld in on the details of shooting her first episode, "Whispers," reveals her love for her character's teammates, and goes in depth into the psychology of Dusty. She also tells us about other recent projects, particularly Ms. Dewey and her music background.

GateWorld's interview with Janina is almost 28 minutes long. Listen online at your leisure, download it to your MP3 player, or subscribe now to the iTunes podcast! The full interview is also transcribed [at the link above].



Sgt. Dusty Mehra (Janina Gavankar) from Whispers

A brief excerpt:

GW: Alright, so you were recently, like, down on, like, Atlantis. [Laughter] I'm terrible.
JG: You know the best part about being on Stargate? I really realize how important the fans were even before I got there. So I book the gig, I just find out, and I swear the fans knew before I knew. So I go to the forums, of course because I'm nerdy. I'm hanging out in the forums, seeing the people trash-talk. "Oh my gosh, I can't believe they're going to have an all female team. That's so lame. Because girls can't kill aliens." I don't know. Whatever their stupid reasons for hating us before they'd even seen us.

Yeah, that's right, I read you. If that was you, and you wrote that on GateWorld, I read you. Yeah, and I sneered at you. Ha. Ha-ha!

GW: That wasn't me! Oh you're talking about them.
JG: The proverbial person listening who wrote that smack talk. Yeah, I read it. And I laughed at you. Ha-ha-ha! Ha. Ha. Anyway.

Originally I auditioned for this role and on the paper it was Sergeant Dusty Wells. Just [a] nondescript name. Then I'm hanging out in the forums and I see Sergeant Dusty Mehra. And I was like, "They made me Indian. They made me Indian because I'm Indian!" And I found out through the fans. How cool is that?




Photo of Janina courtesy of Joseph Mallozzi's blog

No comments: