Saturday, December 13, 2008

Stargate Atlantis - i09: The Great Rodney McKay Says Goodbye to Stargate Atlantis

At i09:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)



The Great Rodney McKay Says Goodbye to Stargate Atlantis

By Meredith Woerner, 2:55 PM on Fri Dec 12 200

What will we do without our weekly McKay fix? Stargate Atlantis' David Hewlett told us about ending the 5 year series, his new projects, and how to tie your shoes in front of an astrophysicist.

I'm exceedingly excited that I got to talk to the David Hewlett about the end of the 5 year run at Stargate Atlantis and hear what it's like working with real scientists on the amazing SGA episode "Brain Storm." He also spilled it about kissing Jewel Staite and what's in store for his future. We're quite curious about his project Star Crossed which is a behind the scenes comedy about working at a scifi show. Hmm I wonder where he got that idea?

... What was it like filming the last few episodes? Will we end SGA with a big bang?
DH: It was miserable! It was absolutely miserable. There's nothing worse, we find out that we weren't coming back I guess a couple, a few weeks before the end, and it just makes it painful. You're in this weird situation where you know that it's over, and you're acting your little heart out like usual, cuz you're used to having to keep going, but there's a part of me that's like, I want to go now. Like if it's over you don't want to be hanging around, you want to rip the band-aid off and move on type thing, so you're desperate to go away and do something else, and at the same time you're dreading it being over and stuff. I just can't imagine what it must have been like for SG1 after having been on for ten years. Everyone was really sort of upset about it.

... What can we look forward to in the finale? How did you guys really try to make it extra special does it wrap up the 5 years of work on SGA?
DH: There's an extra special ending. Yeah again it was so weird too, I can't help thinking there's nothing you can do in one episode that's gonna sum up five years. I hope if anything out of this, I hope it sets up further adventures for Atlantis. I think what's nice about the episode is there's enough unanswered stuff there. There are still things that need to be dealt with that I hope there will be more Atlantis for people to see, in cheaper formats, TV movies or DVD movies or whatever they want to do. But I do hope that’s something we can look forward to

No comments: