Friday, June 11, 2010

Stargate Atlantis - Total SciFi Online: David Hewlett Interview

At Total SciFi Online:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

David Hewlett: The Real McKay



He may have one of the biggest egos in both the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies, but you can always count on Stargate Atlantis’ Dr. Rodney McKay to help save the day. Steve Eramo recently spoke with actor David Hewlett about playing the self-centered yet likeable scientist.

A brief excerpt:

What did you think of the Atlantis series finale Enemy at the Gate?
I’m not a big fan of Enemy at the Gate. As far as trying to wrap up five years of a show, it just didn’t work. It felt like just another episode, but it really wasn’t. It was an opportunity to do something memorable, to give people something to talk about, but it was an opportunity missed.

I think [the penultimate season five episode] Vegas should have been Atlantis’ swan song. It was so cool, off-the-wall and different for us. I just loved it. The first time I read the script I thought, “This isn’t even an Atlantis episode,” and then I was like, “Well, good!” Can you imagine, people would have been freaking out – what the hell, Sheppard’s dead, and McKay is married? If I was running the show, that’s what I’d have done.

Then again, I’m not smart enough to have come up with most of the stuff those writers have come up with already, which is why I’m acting…

No comments: