Friday, September 26, 2008

Sanctuary - SciFi Wire: Q&A: Tapping On Sanctuary

At SciFi Wire:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)



12:00 AM, 26-SEPTEMBER-08

Q&A: Tapping On Sanctuary

Amanda Tapping, who produces and stars in SCI FI Channel's upcoming original series Sanctuary, told reporters that she had made the decision to focus on the new show even before SCI FI renewed Stargate Atlantis, on which she was a regular cast member.

Tapping spent more than a decade playing her Stargate character, Lt. Col. Samantha Carter, and also appeared in two direct-to-DVD movies.

In Sanctuary, she plays Dr. Helen Magnus, an enigmatic 157-year-old scientist out to protect mankind from monsters of all kinds, including the monsters within. Tapping spoke with reporters during a Sept. 23 conference call. Following is an edited version of the conversation. Sanctuary will premiere with a two-hour episode on Oct. 3 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.



You'd already done the Web-based version of Sanctuary while you were on Stargate, but take us through the process of leaving Stargate behind in order to do Sanctuary as a TV series.
Tapping: When I first got approached with Sanctuary, I didn't know what the future of me and the Stargate franchise was going to be. And so--this was January of 2006 that initially the script was brought to me--at that time I didn't know I was going to be doing Atlantis, and I didn't know what was going to happen with SG-1. So we shot this little test scene, and ... we got the funding, and in January 2007 decided to do a Web series, which didn't seem at all to conflict with Stargate or how that was going to work. The timing worked out perfectly. And then when it came down to [it], ... I had finished season four of Atlantis, and I got offered season five, and it was a really lovely contract. And it would've been very easy to say yes. But I had to sort of make this enormous leap of faith, because Sanctuary was waiting in the wings...


No comments: